Thursday, November 03, 2005

Day 2: Everything happened but the writing

Another attempt to trudge on in a spurt led to a halt again. Waking late, spending lunch hours with girlfriend, droping off to sleep again in the afternoon and later keeping a promise to a friend to follow him to deposit some cash in the bank and later a trip to CoffeeBean caused a slowdown on work. At least I still managed to bring about an extra 2,000 more or less words this day, completing the first chapter and moving on to the second. I did a little reworking as well, adding to the prologue because I felt it was too short and more back story on the Scourge ravaging ‘Gaea Thera’ was called for to build up the history of the world. Spell checking and proofreading began with both Prologue and Chapter 1, addition of more description to the characters in the dream battle and rewriting several parts to give more character to the main characters involved.

I finally went to flesh out the town of T’san (this name was specially picked based on someone I knew and cared for), a quaint town by the ford where the hero, Edwin lived most of his life and where nothing much really happens in the inhabitants’ daily lives. I wanted the second chapter to incorporate as much detail for the town so that readers can really imagine themselves being there, detailing the finer districts and landmarks of importance and maybe tomorrow I’ll start introducing the side characters and some integral characters that Edwin will meet in town. Oh yeah, Pratley (a friend of Edwin, about the same age) and Marista (Edwin’s sister) already entered the plot and will further build up in the coming chapters.

I’m just worried that too much description will bog down the story and lose the reader’s interest so I’m just going to write what I have in mind first and later refine it if need be, maybe with more succinct descriptions and more action thrown in. So guess I’ve a lot of catching up to do, hopefully the next day would see some real progress, already 4,500 words or near 1/10 of the required novel length and barely scratching the surface. A long way to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home