Tuesday, November 01, 2005

In the Begining there was Light

So it began with an idea and a challenge. I planned to begin early round midnight with my novel, as I said I’ve been working out drafts of the storyline throughout the whole of October though several times it was put on hiatus while other matters took my time away and by October 30th it was only half finished. I was basing my work (as I mentioned before it is going to be a fantasy based work) on a few old campaign maps I’ve drawn over the years which I never really used except to contemplate on the details of how the world would be, who would be in it and what world concepts need apply. NaNoWriMo gave the perfect excuse to resurrect them and allowed me to flesh own the story based on these world designs.

So, I’ve been mulling on the world concept for months now, dragging in new ideas and concept and discarding as many as soon as they were thought of. Should my world be a techno medieval fantasy setting where magic and machines coexist? What type of monsters of denizens do I want in them; should I stick to the normal plain overused fantasy models of trolls, elves, dwarves and magicians or do I reinvent all totally? Are my worlds following physical laws or can they break them, floating isles, rivers flowing upstream, gravity knows no bound etc? So much to think about and throughout the concept kept on being reviewed and changed.

Now time has passed by and if I sit here all day just thinking away work will never get done. So I settled on a core concept and worked from there, populating it with several central figures and built the world from there, anchored to these few main casts. Today I finally managed to get the whole outline out for the entire novel though this may evolve along as I begin to write yet I am satisfied with the working models for the time being. So time to begin and write.

Script done, it was time to finally settle on finalizing the main characters and protagonists, those pieces so central to hold the entire novel together, all depends on them to drive the story and move it along. So for I haven’t given them names yet and their final form are evolving as well though I’ve come up with rough ideas on what they are like, their personas, personalities, looks, civilizations, races, etc. As days go by, they will grow as well and mature with each writing.

World concept, well that has been finalized too in its rough form, all that is left is for touching up and maybe tweaking so that a believable environment could be presented that readers are able to immerse themselves into it. The only thing that I’ll divulge is that there is not one worlds, but a whole multiverse so you can say the campaign stretches across an endless possible plane. Interesting? I hope so. Yet that said, I still haven’t thought of what to name my world (s), maybe later when inspiration comes about.

I’ll try to give a brief write up on the world’s workings soon as well as a bio on the main characters or even plot leaks. I’ll be using this link to post my novel snippets as they progress as well as to update it with contents pertaining to the realm. For the duration this blog site is a dedicated space for everyone to share as the novel is being written, suggestions and comments are welcomed but flame, troll or spitefulness please leave behind, if you give constructive criticism fine, if you’re out just to make trouble so don’t come over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home